Deer Management

*Last updated 03:00pm, 06 January 2021


deerThe Scottish Country Sports Tourism Group has collaborated with number of country sports and land management organisations in Scotland to publish guidance for employers, employees and practitioners to allow these activities to move forward safely.


New ‘stay at home’ restrictions from 5 January 2021

Following the First Minister’s announcement, new ‘stay at home’ coronavirus restrictions come into effect on the 5 January 2021. This means that all those residing in a tier 4 area should stay at home by law, and may only leave for an essential purpose.

Sport and exercise is deemed to be an essential reason to travel. This means that shooting activity (such as wildfowling, deer stalking or rough shooting) is permitted, so long as:

  1.  No more than two people from two households participate;
  2.  The activity takes place within the local authority area in which you reside, or within five miles of your local authority area boundary.

This means, for example, that someone residing in Angus could go deer stalking in Perth and Kinross, provided they are within 5 miles of the Angus local authority border.

In light of the stringent socialising conditions, and following advice from BASC, it is not advised that driven game shooting or other recreational group shooting activities with more than two people should take place.

Essential pest control is considered an essential purpose to travel. Essential pest control could include: essential bird and mammal pest control to protect crops or livestock such as the shooting and trapping of pest bird species under general licence; the management of rodents and rabbits; deer management as part of a plan agreed with and requested by the landowner; and game management or gamekeeping activities such as looking after game birds, pest/predator control and habitat management. All those undertaking essential pest control should carry written permission from the owner or occupier which states that they are contracted to undertake such activity.

There must be no non-essential travel between Scotland and other parts of the UK.


To raise an issue or to ask for further information, please contact our Policy Adviser Karen Ramoo.